Grief strikes twice at Albany mother’s heart

The Sunday Times - - NEWS -

FRANCINA Wynne feels like she has gone back in time 12 years to a place she never wanted to re­visit.

Grief is on re­peat for the Albany ma­tri­arch and her fam­ily as they grap­ple with the deaths of her son Ky­rone Eades and daugh­ter-in-law Amy-Lee Ugle Arm­strong, both 24, in a hor­ror high-speed car crash last month that left the young cou­ple’s three chil­dren or­phans.

Ms Wynne’s el­dest son Herzel Eades, 18, and his girl­friend Re­nee Pick­ett, 17, were killed in 2004 when their car and a truck col­lided in Albany.

Ky­rone and Amy-Lee were pas­sen­gers in a car that split in half on im­pact af­ter the driver al­legedly sped away from pur­su­ing po­lice with­out headlights on, veered on to the wrong side of the road and hit a tree in Cock­burn Cen­tral on De­cem­ber 2. It’s re­ported he reached speeds up to 180km/h.

Po­lice had aban­doned the chase shortly be­fore the crash. A third pas­sen­ger, a 19-yearold man, was also killed. The driver, Matthew John Con­duit, es­caped with mi­nor in­juries.

Ms Wynne said she was try­ing to be strong for her dev­as­tated grand­chil­dren, aged be­tween five and 10.

She said both fam­i­lies were in a “world of grief and heartache” and the young cou­ple would be “for­ever missed”.

Ms Wynne un­der­stood Ky­rone and Amy-Lee had ac­cepted a ran­dom of­fer of a lift.

“Th­ese two young lives were snatched from our fam­i­lies in such tragic cir­cum­stances,” Ms Wynne said.

“The fam­ily has got a lot of unan­swered ques­tions ... the an­swers we need can only come from the driver.”

Ms Wynne said Ky­rone and Amy-Lee’s deaths had “opened up old wounds”.

“You wouldn’t think it would ever hap­pen once, let alone twice. When I lost Herzel that shat­tered my heart, I couldn’t even talk, I never left the house ... Kye was there to help me with my griev­ing,” she said. “They say time heals, but I can tell you it doesn’t.”

Mr Con­duit, who has been charged with three counts of dan­ger­ous driv­ing caus­ing death and one count of fail­ing to stop at the di­rec­tion of po­lice, has not yet en­tered pleas.

The 25-year-old South Lake man is on bail and will reap­pear in Fre­man­tle Mag­is­trates Court next month.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.