‘Ugly’ bol­lards to keep MPs safe

The Sunday Times - - NEWS - JOSH ZIM­MER­MAN

CON­CRETE se­cu­rity bol­lards at Par­lia­ment House con­demned for their re­sem­blance to sew­er­age pipes ap­pear here to stay, now sport­ing flower beds to hide their “cheap” and “ugly” ap­pear­ance.

MPs from both sides of pol­i­tics slammed the bol­lards after they were in­stalled last year in re­sponse to a man repeatedly speed­ing past the steps of Par­lia­ment.

But with nei­ther the Par­lia­men­tary Ser­vices De­part­ment nor the Mc­Gowan Gov­ern­ment stump­ing up the cash to re­place the $22,000 eye sores, they will re­main in place when MPs re­turn to work next month.

“The planter beds were the fi­nal stage of the con­crete bol­lard in­stal­la­tion,” Par­lia­men­tary Ser­vices ex­ec­u­tive man­ager Rob Hunter said. “While the lin­ers were not the pre­ferred op­tion and more con­ven­tional mea­sures were also con­sid­ered, such as re­tractable bol­lards and mounted fold­ing block, these will re­main in place un­til such time as the risk is elim­i­nated or the fund­ing is made avail­able to un­der­take a per­ma­nent solution.

“Our de­part­ment does not have suf­fi­cient fund­ing to in­stall ex­pen­sive in­fra­struc­ture and the decision to in­stall lin­ers was an af­ford­able and ef­fec­tive al­ter­na­tive to meet the de­part­ment’s (safety) obli­ga­tions.”

Asked this week whether the Mc­Gowan Gov­ern­ment in­tended to fund a re­place­ment, a spokesman for the Premier said: “We are not aware of any other pro­pos­als at this time.”

Eye­sore: These “ugly” bol­lards will re­main at Par­lia­ment House.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.