Jarratt committed to trial over historic rape allegation
Wolf Creek actor John Jarratt will face a trial in the NSW District Court in July over an allegation he raped a woman in the mid-1970s.
Police alleged Jarratt raped an 18-year-old girl in September 1976 at a home in Randwick. He was 24 at the time.
Court documents allege the rape took place between 3am on September 1, 1976, and 4am on September 30, 1976.
Judge Helen Syme yesterday committed Jarratt, 66, to trial over five days from July 1.
“We’re ready to take a trial date,” Jarratt’s lawyer, Bryan Wrench, said in Sydney’s Downing Centre courts yesterday.
Prosecutor Amber Boatman said while an indictment was still going through “charge certification”, a July date was suitable.
“I’m very disappointed the crown has not got the indictment yet,” Judge Syme said.
Ms Boatman said she understood it would be filed early next year. “There’s a lot of leave between December and January. I don’t have any further instructions,” she said.
Judge Syme said: “I hope none of those crowns want to be judges some day because we’re not taking leave.”
Jarratt, charged in August last year after an investigation into the allegations, will be arraigned on February 1. There will be a “readiness hearing” on February 24.
Jarratt has previously offered to take a lie-detector test in answer to the rape allegations.