Brighten your home
A BRIGHT home is a happy home. Take some simple steps to improve your space and add a fresh, new feeling. Every time you walk through your front door it should be a breath of fresh air.
1. Allow more natural light in Remove heavy, outdated window treatments such as drapes or curtains, and replace them with plantation shutters or modern blinds. A pelmet will give a designer finish.
2. Paint walls a neutral shade The power of white paint can’t be underestimated. There are so many shades of white that it can be overwhelming but by adjusting your walls from cream or beige, to a crisp white, will make an enormous difference.
3. Use a gloss paint on doors, window frames and architectural features
Gloss paint creates a reflective surface which will make your home feel brighter.
Painters generally don’t like to use it as it’s slightly more time consuming, but don’t let them talk you out of it.
4. Add some personality with soft furnishings
Colour can be introduced via cushions, throws and rugs, which will inject some interest and cheer into the room. There are so many designer options available now at affordable prices, you have no excuse not to update.
5. Use mirrors Mirrors on the wall, or indeed mirrored furniture, will both have the same effect – they will add another dimension to the room and add a feeling of lightness and spaciousness.
6. Add a vibrant artwork Art is a brilliant way to brighten any room, and creates a great focal point.
Affordable stretched canvases are available online in a variety of genres – from abstract to botanical to suit your own decorative style.
7. Install new lighting to illuminate your interior at night
Some new, modern downlights, or even freestanding lamps will add artificial light where needed and will be an instant fix.
Track lighting placed strategically will throw light out into the room, and can be angled for specific tasks.
8. Rethink your floor plan Sometimes if you’ve lived in a home for a period of time it’s difficult to see how a room could work in any other way.
Just by shifting furniture into a new position, you can create a whole new look and feeling of spaciousness. Juliet Love is a stylist and interior designer who runs her own business, Love Style. Visit lovestyle.com.au
BRIGHT IDEAS: Remove outdated window treatments and replace them with modern blinds to allow more light into your home.