The Weekend Post - - Front Page - JANESSA EKERT [email protected] edi­to­[email protected] cairn­spost.com.au face­book.com/TheCairn­sPost www.cairn­spost.com.au twit­ter.com/TheCairn­sPost

A CAPE York man has been ac­quit­ted of mur­der af­ter a jury found he was pro­voked into a re­ac­tion that killed a wo­man and se­ri­ously in­jured eight oth­ers.

Garry Paul Hud­son twice rammed a Toy­ota LandCruiser ute into a Kowanyama home filled with peo­ple mourn­ing his dead part­ner Kather­ine Ge­orge.

As a re­sult De­lanne Zin­gle, whom he had ar­gued with mo­ments be­fore and had told him to leave the house, was killed on Oc­to­ber 7, 2016.

Bar­ris­ter Josh Trevino said, in his clos­ing ad­dress in the Cairns Supreme Court, that Hud­son “was pushed well past his limit” and “mind­lessly lashed out” in re­sponse to a grave level of provo­ca­tion.

“His ac­tions, as shock­ing and as ter­ri­ble as they are, were fu­elled by his grief, the pow­er­less­ness of his sit­u­a­tion, rather than any de­sire to hurt or kill those in­side,” he said.

Hud­son, 57, was in­volved in a bitter dispute with Ms Ge­orge’s fam­ily over where her fu­neral ser­vice should be held, but a compromise was reached that it would be at the morgue.

Not long af­ter, Ms Ge­orge’s fam­ily broke the agree­ment and had her body moved to her sis­ter’s house at 184 Kowan- yama St with­out telling Mr Hud­son.

“And ul­ti­mately he was ex­cluded from his own part­ner’s fu­neral,” Mr Trevino said.

He told the court that these cir­cum­stances “would cause any­one to snap”.

Crown prose­cu­tor Nigel Rees ar­gued Hud­son’s ac­tions were in a mur­der­ous rage.

“He uses that ve­hi­cle as a weapon … (and) de­lib­er­ately drives into the house,” Mr Rees said. “He took mat­ters into his own hands and ex­acted his re­venge.”

But Mr Trevino said: “He had been pushed to a place where he had suf­fered a com­plete lack of con­trol over events that were of most im­por­tance to him.”

The seven-man, five­woman jury took just 14 min­utes to re­turn a ver­dict of not guilty to mur­der.

Hud­son had al­ready pleaded guilty at the start of the four-day trial to man­slaugh­ter and dan­ger­ous driv­ing caus­ing grievous bod­ily harm.

Twenty vic­tim im­pact state­ments were ten­dered to the court.

Jus­tice James Henry will sen­tence Hud­son on Mon­day morn­ing.

GRIEV­ING: Garry Paul Hud­son has been ac­quit­ted of mur­der but had al­ready pleaded guilty to man­slaugh­ter and dan­ger­ous driv­ing caus­ing grievous bod­ily harm.

TRAGIC SCENE: The house at Kowanyama where a ve­hi­cle ploughed into mourn­ers gath­ered for a fu­neral.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.