Mouse-bait cocktail warning
Authorities have warned people trying to battle mice to avoid creating home-made mouse-bait cocktails.
Agriculture Victoria leading chemical standards officer Alex Perera said illegally manufactured mouse baits put people, livestock, pets and wildlife at risk.
He said in contrast, people using registered chemicals and following label instructions minimised risks.
Ms Perera made her comments as reports showed mouse numbers were continuing to increase across Victoria’s north-west, resulting in heavy demand for a variety of poisons to kill the pests.
“The temptation to make your own bait can be great, but this is risky and dangerous for you, and the environment,” she said.
“It can lead to the accidental poisoning of pets, working dogs and native animals.
“Products that are registered for mouse control have been through a rigorous assessment by scientists at the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority and are formulated to limit the impact on non-target animals.
“The product labels will often contain specific directions on how to prevent off-target poisonings.
“There are also significant penalties associated with the illegal use of agricultural chemicals.”