Green Lake closed
Green Lake south of Horsham is again closed to the public following a blue-green algae outbreak.
Horsham Rural City Council technical services director John Martin said samples of water from the lake confirmed ‘very high levels’ of the potentially toxic algae.
Direct contact with the blooms can cause allergic reactions such as skin rashes or itchiness, sore eyes, ears and nose, or – if swallowed – gastroenteritis, nausea or vomiting. “People who come into contact with this water should wash affected skin immediately in clean water,” Mr Martin said.
“People are also advised not to use the affected water for cooking, drinking, washing or showering. Boiling the affected water will not make it safe to use.”
Mr Martin advised visitors they could still enjoy other recreational activities such as bushwalking, boating and sightseeing around the lake.
He said the council would monitor the lake.