Ho­tel to re-open bar area to­mor­row

The Weekly Advertiser Horsham - - News -

Firefighte­rs be­lieve an over­heated ex­haust fan was re­spon­si­ble for a fire that burnt out a ho­tel kitchen in Hor­sham on Sun­day night.

Coun­try Fire Au­thor­ity Re­gion 17 op­er­a­tions of­fi­cer Al­fred Ma­son said the fire, which started about 6.40pm at the Com­mer­cial Ho­tel in Wil­son Street, had started near the fan.

He said a build-up of cook­ing residue was the most likely cause of the fan be­com­ing over­heated.

“The fire was con­tained to only the kitchen,” he said.

“This meant there was only min­i­mal dam­age to the ho­tel over­all, but ex­ten­sive dam­age to the kitchen.”

Mr Ma­son said about 60 ho­tel pa­trons were evac­u­ated and elec­tric­ity and gas sup­plies dis­con­nected as firefighte­rs took be­tween 30 and 40 min­utes to con­trol the blaze.

He said there were no sus­pi­cious cir­cum­stances sur­round­ing the fire.

Ho­tel owner Gary Jelly said he hoped to re-open a bar area by to­mor­row night.

• Hor­sham Re­gional Art Gallery re­mains closed in re­sponse to the fire.

Gallery staff mem­bers are as­sess­ing con­ser­va­tion cli­mate re­quire­ments for the pro­tec­tion of gallery ex­hi­bi­tions and col­lec­tions.

Hor­sham Ru­ral City Coun­cil com­mu­nity well­be­ing di­rec­tor Kevin O’brien said there had been no re­ported dam­age at the gallery but there was a need to en­sure po­ten­tial smoke and mois­ture con­cerns were ad­dressed.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.