Demons host pre­mier­ship re­u­nion

The Weekly Advertiser Horsham - - Sport - BY COLIN MACGILLIVR­AY

Hor­sham fans young and old will cel­e­brate their club’s rich his­tory with a triple pre­mier­ship re­u­nion when the Demons host Stawell at Hor­sham City Oval on Satur­day night.

The Demons have planned a re­u­nion for their 1979, 1989 and 2009 pre­mier­ship sides, with strong rep­re­sen­ta­tion ex­pected from each.

Long-time Hor­sham com­mit­tee mem­ber and club stalwart Rod Dumesny said only two mem­bers of the 1979 team would be ab­sent, while five mem­bers of the 1989 team would be miss­ing in­clud­ing the late John O’cal­laghan and coach Peter Hick­mott.

Mr Dumes­ney said many of the club’s 2009 pre­mier­ship play­ers were still active, and would be com­ing from across the state.

“A lot of them will be com­ing overnight be­cause a lot of them are still play­ing down in Gee­long,” he said.

“Jeremy Har­ti­gan is com­ing down from Echuca after he plays.

“Ja­son Kerr is com­ing from No­rad­juha-quan­tong.

“Stu­art Farr coaches Kal­kee and will be com­ing in after that.

“The night match works well for us – we wouldn’t have been able to do the 2009 re­u­nion un­less it was a night match or a Sun­day match.”

Hor­sham’s 1979 pre­mier­ship team, coached by Peter ‘Dickie’ Morrison, de­feated the favoured Mur­toa 24.14 (158) to 18.16 (124) at Dim­boola, with Phil Bunn boot­ing eight goals on a badly sprained an­kle.

The 1989 team was led to a 23.18 (156) to 16.9 (105) win by Essendon pre­mier­ship player Shane Heard and Kell in Dun­can, who was named best afield.

The 2009 team, coached by Stu­art Farr, ran away with the match against War­rack Ea­gles de­spite kick­ing into a stiff breeze in the last quar­ter, win­ning 16.14 (110) to 13.8 (86). Hor­sham’s 1979 re­serves pre­mier­ship against Ararat will also be cel­e­brated.

Mr Dumesny said the re­u­nion would be an ex­cel­lent op­por­tu­nity for peo­ple to catch up with old friends and rem­i­nisce on some of the club’s greatest tri­umphs.

On the field, the Demons will at­tempt to keep their un­beaten start to the sea­son alive against Stawell, which earned its first win with a re­sound­ing vic­tory against War­rack Ea­gles.

Five goals to Cody Driscoll helped the War­riors run away with the match after quar­ter time, and the 17.24 (126) to 6.8 (44) gave the team a big per­cent­age boost.

The Ea­gles now face Dim­boola, which had some strug­gles of its own in a 14.23 (107) to 5.5 (35) loss to Ararat.

De­spite the ef­forts of Roo Ash Clugston, the Rats ran ram­pant after the first change, mid­fielder Nick Men­des and Jake Wil­liamson dom­i­nat­ing and Dy­lan Shel­ley boot­ing four goals up for­ward.

The Roos and Ea­gles sit sev­enth and eighth on the ladder re­spec­tively, and a loss to ei­ther would make a fi­nals berth seem very far away.

Hor­sham Saints will host Ararat after sur­viv­ing a scare from Nhill, win­ning 10.18 (78) to 10.6 (66) on the back of big games from An­drew Dev­ereaux and Ja­cob O’beirne.

The Saints led by 41 points at the last change but only man­aged four be­hinds in the fourth quar­ter as Toby Case, Jake Har­rap and Scott Hughes nearly led the Tigers back.

Fi­nals as­pi­rants Minyip-mur­toa and South­ern Mallee Giants will meet at Mur­toa, the Bur­ras com­ing off a bye and the Giants a 10.9 (69) to 8.6 (54) loss to Hor­sham in a re­match of last year’s grand fi­nal.

Coach Cole­man Schache and for­ward Sam White could over­come the run of Hor­sham coach Deek Roberts, whose scin­til­lat­ing four-goal ef­fort was enough to carry his team across the line.

CRUNCH: Stawell’s Jay Moody and Cam Kim­ber tackle War­rack Eagle Riley Mor­row dur­ing the War­riors’ win on Satur­day. Pic­ture: PAUL CARRACHER

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.