The Weekly Advertiser Horsham
MELBOURNE CUP QUIZ
Are you a true punter? 0-10: Group 3 11-20: Group 2 21-30: Group 1
1. What year was the Melbourne Cup race first run?
2. What body first introduced the event?
3. In what year and where was the trophy as its known today made?
4. What prize was awarded to the winner of the 1861 Melbourne Cup?
5. Since what year has the Melbourne Cup been run on the first Tuesday in November?
6. When did Michelle Payne become the first female jockey to win the Melbourne Cup?
7. What was the name of the horse that she rode to victory?
8. Which of Lloyd Williams’ horses won the cup in 2020?
9. The horse Kingston Rule set the record for what in 1990? 10. When did a female jockey first compete in the Melbourne Cup race?
11. How many metres is the Melbourne Cup run over?
12. In what year did Makybe Diva win the first of it’s three Melbourne Cups?
13. What age were the trio of the oldest winners (Toryboy, Catalogue and Twilight Payment) when they won the Melbourne Cup?
14. In 1962, what offfield race day event was first held?
15. Who in 2013 became the first Australian female trainer to train the race winner?
16. What horse won the first two Melbourne Cups?
17. What day of the week was the race run during the war years of 1942–44?
18. 2010 winner Americain was trained in and ridden by a jockey from which European country?
19. How many horses ran in the 1863 Melbourne Cup?
20. At what time of day is the race always run?
21. Which jockey rode Makybe Diva on its historic three-peat of victories?
22. On what day of the week was the first Melbourne Cup held?
23. The strapper of the winning horse is given an award named after which person?
24. The total prize purse for the 2020 race was how much?
25. In 1890, how many runners contested the race?
26. Which horse placed the last three years without actually winning the race?
27. In the 2015 race, the winner Prince of Penzance started at what odds?
28. Which successful trainer collected 268 Group 1 wins, in addition to numerous Melbourne Cups?
29. Which horse, named after an Eastern European country, won the race in 1946?
30. What barrier number is the only one yet to have a Melbourne Cup winner?