Road­side birth drama has happy end­ing

The West Australian - - NEWS - Ja­son Men­nell

A fa­ther was forced to give CPR to his life­less son min­utes af­ter the boy was born on the side of the road be­tween Kam­balda and Kal­go­or­lie.

Kade Moore­head was born about 8pm on Wed­nes­day but was not breath­ing and had the um­bil­i­cal cord tan­gled around his neck.

With a triple-zero op­er­a­tor pro­vid­ing in­struc­tions, Kade’s fa­ther Scott did three rounds of CPR — breath­ing into his mouth and giv­ing him lit­tle tiny com­pres­sions on his chest — be­fore he started breath­ing on his own ac­cord.

Mr Moor­head said he and his wife Bianca were on their way to the Kal­go­or­lie Health Cam­pus from Kam­balda af­ter she started hav­ing con­trac­tions.

He said as the con­trac­tions be­came heav­ier, his wife told him to pull over and as she sat in the pas­sen­ger’s seat with her feet on the dash­board, a triplezeo op­er­a­tor guided them through the birth over the phone’s loud­speaker.

“There were three pushes — the first he crowned, the sec­ond push his head came out and third push he popped out and I had to catch him,” Mr Moore­head said.

“He had his um­bil­i­cal cord around his neck. It wasn’t tight, though, but it was around.

“It was quite tan­gled, so I had to do that and we no­ticed he wasn’t breath­ing.

“There was no move­ment, they asked me to look at his belly and he was just life­less. He wasn’t mov­ing at all.”

“She (the op­er­a­tor) said we had to per­form CPR. I was quite scared at this point.”

Mr Moor­head said his wife re­mained com­posed and in con­trol through­out the de­liv­ery and in­structed him to lis­ten care­fully to the op­er­a­tor as she talked him through the process.

“We only had to do three rounds of CPR, breath­ing into his mouth and lit­tle tiny com­pres­sions on his chest,” he said.

“It felt like ages but it might have only been a cou­ple of min­utes, I’m not sure.

“Af­ter the last com­pres­sion of his chest, he started mov­ing. his belly started mov­ing and I could see him breath­ing.

“There were lit­tle noises here and there but he was pretty chilled out.

“Just the look my wife gave me, it was like, ‘Good job’, and I was just so proud.”

Af­ter be­ing

Kade be­came re­spon­sive.

With the um­bil­i­cal cord still at­tached, he snug­gled up to his mother’s chest as they waited 10 min­utes for the am­bu­lance to ar­rive.

Mrs Moor­head said hus­band “did a good job”.

Kade is happy and healthy and is ex­pected to be on his way home to­day af­ter un­der­go­ing rou­tine tests and pre­cau­tion­ary an­tibi­otic treat­ments. cleaned up, even more her

Pic­ture: Tori O'Con­nor

Scott and Bianca Moore­head with their chil­dren Bella, 6, three-day-old Kade and Tye, 9.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.