Hart quits Oscars over gay tweets
Just two days after being named host of the Academy Awards, Kevin Hart has stepped down after an outcry over past homophobic tweets.
Capping a swift and dramatic fall, the comedian wrote on Twitter yesterday that he was withdrawing as Oscars host because he did not want to be a distraction.
“I sincerely apologise to the LGBTQ community for my insensitive words from my past,” Hart, who performed in Perth this week, wrote.
He stepped aside about an hour after refusing to apologise for tweets that resurfaced after he was announced on Tuesday as Oscars host.
In a video on Instagram, Hart said the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences gave him an ultimatum — apologise or “we’re going to have to move on and find another host”.
“I chose to pass on the apology,” Hart said. “The reason why I passed is because I’ve addressed this several times.”
Hart has since deleted some of the anti-gay tweets, mostly dated from 2009 to 2011. But they had been screencaptured and shared online.
In 2011, he wrote in a sincedeleted tweet: “Yo if my son comes home & try’s 2 play with my daughters doll house I’m going 2 break it over his head & say n my voice stop that’s gay.”
In an earlier post on Thursday, Hart wrote on Instagram that critics should “stop being negative” about his earlier anti-gay remarks.
“I’m almost 40 years old. If you don’t believe that people change, grow, evolve? I don’t know what to tell you,” Hart said. He added: “I love everybody.”