The West Australian
Date set in footballer rape trial
A well-known Geraldton footballer and former boxing coach will stand trial for the alleged rape of a teenage girl.
Justin James Crudeli, 36, pictured, recently appeared in Geraldton District Court and maintained his pleas of not guilty to two counts of aggravated sexual penetration without consent. Prosecutor Adam O’Connor told the court the alleged victim was to be interviewed to add to the body of evidence against Mr Crudeli.
His trial was set for two days on September 20.
Judge Andrew Stavrianou renewed his bail until September 13, when he is due to appear for mention. The 36-year-old was charged after the 16-year-old girl told police she was raped at a Rangeway home on July 8.
Police arrested Mr Crudeli — who was employed at the time as a boxing coach at the Geraldton PCYC — on July 29.
Mr Crudeli had also appeared in Geraldton Magistrate’s Court last week after allegedly working with kids without a valid Working with Children card.
In August, the court was told his Working with Children card had expired in June, with Acting Sgt Paul White saying Mr Crudeli had declined to renew it.
He is facing allegations he worked with minors between June 10 and July 27 without having the valid permit.