Serve sweet treats by the trayful
Who says it has to be Christmas to enjoy a hearty helping of plum pudding?
PLUM TRAY BAKE WITH WHITE CHOCOLATE CUSTARD
serves / 6 prep / 30 min cook / 50 250g cream cheese, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1⁄4 cup (55g) caster sugar 4 eggs
175g softened unsalted butter 175g brown sugar
200g self-raising flour, sifted 400g plums, seeds removed, sliced
Icing sugar, to dust WHITE CHOCOLATE CUSTARD:
1 cup (250ml) milk 300ml thickened cream
4 egg yolks
2 tbsp cornflour
1⁄2 cup (110g) caster sugar 100g white chocolate, finely chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease and line an 18cm x 28cm lamington pan.
2. Add cream cheese, vanilla, caster sugar and 1 egg to the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 2–3 minutes until smooth.
3. Place butter, brown sugar, flour and remaining 3 eggs in a clean bowl and beat for 2–3 minutes until creamy. Spread half the flour mixture in the tray followed by half the cream cheese mixture, swirling to gently combine, then top with half the plums. Top with remaining flour mixture, cream cheese mixture and plums. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden.
4. For the custard, heat the milk and cream in a saucepan over medium heat to just below boiling point. Whisk together yolks, cornflour and sugar until combined, then pour the hot cream mixture over the egg mixture. Transfer to a clean saucepan and cook, stirring, over low heat for 4–5 minutes until custard coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat, add the chocolate and stir until smooth.
5. Dust the plum tray bake with icing sugar, then slice and serve with warm chocolate custard.