Pumpkin alfredo with fettuccine, crispy sage and pepitas
serves / 4 prep / 20 minutes cook / 1 hour
800g kent pumpkin, peeled, cut into 5cm pieces
3 large garlic cloves, unpeeled
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil 2 tbsp pepitas
20g pkt fresh sage leaves 2 large french shallots, finely chopped
1⁄2 whole nutmeg, finely grated, plus extra, to serve 300ml pouring cream 400g fresh fettuccine 40g (1⁄2 cup) finely grated parmesan or vegetarian hard cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan-forced. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Place pumpkin and garlic on prepared tray. Drizzle with oil. Season. Toss to coat. Roast for 40-45 minutes or until the vegetables are golden and tender. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool slightly.
2. Peel the garlic. Place the pumpkin and garlic in a food processor and process until smooth. Set aside.
3. Heat a large, deep frying pan over medium heat. Add the pepitas and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes or until golden and starting to pop. Transfer to a plate. Season with salt. Set aside.
4. Melt half the butter in the pan. Add sage leaves. Cook, turning, for 2 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel to drain. Pour the pan juices into a small jug and reserve. Melt the remaining butter in the pan over medium heat. Add the shallots. Cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until softened. Add the pumpkin mixture and nutmeg to the pan. Reduce heat to low and add the cream. Season. Cook, stirring often, for 2-3 minutes, until warmed through.
5. Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water for 3-4 minutes or until al dente. Drain, reserving 3⁄4 cup cooking liquid. Return the pasta to the pan.
6. Add pumpkin mixture, parmesan and 1⁄2 cup cooking liquid to pasta. Toss to combine, adding the remaining cooking liquid if needed. Divide among bowls. Drizzle with the reserved pan juices. Top with pepitas, sage and extra nutmeg.