Condensed milk bread and butter pudding
serves / 8 prep / 45 minutes cook / 45 minutes
Ingredients 400g pkt butter brioche loaf 100g dark chocolate (70% cocoa), coarsely chopped
2 x 395g cans sweetened condensed milk
500ml (2 cups) pouring cream 8 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract BURNT CARAMEL SAUCE: 110g (1⁄2 cup) caster sugar 80ml (1⁄3 cup) double cream
1. Preheat oven to 180C/160C fanforced. Grease a round 3L ovenproof dish. Trim ends of the brioche then use a serrated bread knife to cut into 1cm-thick slices.
2. Place the slices in the prepared dish, overlapping in a concentric circle pattern and sprinkling three-quarters of the chocolate between the layers as you go.
3. Whisk together condensed milk, pouring cream, eggs and vanilla in a large bowl. Pour mixture through a fine sieve over bread slices and set aside for 30 minutes to soak.
4. Sprinkle the remaining chopped dark chocolate over the brioche slices. Bake for 45 minutes or until set.
5. Meanwhile, stir sugar and 60ml (1⁄4 cup) water in a saucepan over low heat for 5 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Boil, without stirring, for 5 minutes or until deep golden.
6. Remove from heat. Carefully stir in double cream (mixture may split). Set aside for 15 minutes to thicken slightly. Drizzle over the pudding to serve.