Mini okonomiyaki with miso mayo and rare roast beef
makes / 24 prep / 1 hour cook / 30 minutes
Ingredients 125g (1⁄2 cup) Kewpie mayonnaise
2 tbsp white miso paste 150g (1 cup) plain flour
2 tbsp cornflour
160ml (2⁄3 cup) beef stock
60ml (1⁄4 cup) extra-virgin olive oil
400g beef eye fillet
1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped savoy cabbage
Edamame, blanched, podded, to serve
Micro herbs, to serve
1. Combine mayonnaise and miso in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and store in the fridge until required.
2. Whisk the flour and cornflour in a bowl. Make a well in the centre. Add the eggs. Whisking constantly, gradually add the stock until mixture is smooth. Cover and set aside for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200C/180C fan-forced. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in an ovenproof frying pan over high heat. Season beef well. Cook the beef, turning, for 5 minutes or until well browned. Transfer to oven and roast for 12 minutes for medium-rare. Set aside for 8 minutes to rest. Thinly slice.
4. Heat remaining oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Stir cabbage through batter. Add tablespoonfuls of batter to the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until nearly cooked. Turn and cook for 1 minute or until cooked through. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining batter.
5. Arrange beef, miso mayo and edamame on okonomiyaki. Scatter with micro herbs.