Fire-hit region rises again
OFF the back of last month’s devastating bushfires, the Scenic Rim is asking you visit for lunch, a day, a night or more.
This is your official call to visit the Scenic Rim, just an hour’s drive from Brisbane or the Gold Coast.
The area is bursting with local flavours and vistas, farm stays, adventures, glamping, multi-award-winning wines and crafted brews.
This is the region of Eat Local Week. Of carrots and alpacas, of stunning walks, sunsets and goat’s cheese, mountains, Lost Worlds, historic pubs and warm welcomes.
The Scenic Rim was judged the most delicious region in Australia at the delicious Produce Awards in August, and is home to some of the nation’s best chefs and food industry leaders and innovators.
Go on, prepare your palates, take the trip for a hike, a coffee, a brew, or a few nights.
Eight foodie experiences you need to know about
1. Did you know Songbirds restaurant is under new ownership, with the Michelin-starred Meyjitte Boughenout as new executive chef? www.song birds.com.au.
2. Tommerup’s Dairy Farm handcrafted cultured salted butter (yum!) is finally available at the Big Pumpkin Beaudesert. It’s also available at the on-farm larder, by appointment, at the sixth-generation dairy farm. Brisbane’s LICK Ice Cream is now making local flavours for the farm.
3. The Polish Place Tamborine Mountain is back after it was destroyed two-and-ahalf years ago. It’s a well-loved institution featuring owner
Ania Sowter’s Polish family recipes (there’s also gorgeous chalet-style accommodation). Some background at www.visit scenicrim.com.au/the-polishplace-returns.
4. Discover where your coffee comes from at Tamborine Mountain Coffee Plantation. It’s a working plantation and roastery with a cafe on-site. Do a plantation tour and get to taste the delicious, local coffee. Formerly Green Lane Coffee Plantation, it now has a bar and is a beautiful outdoors space for Sunday sessions.
5. The Overflow Estate 1895 lets you drink local award-winning wine cultivated beside the picturesque Lake Wyaralong in the heart of the Scenic Rim. Visit the cellar door and vineyard for a lunch and wine overlooking the lake. There’s also Witches Falls Winery, O’Reilly’s Canungra Valley Vineyard and Bunjurgen Estate Vineyard
6. At Scenic Rim Brewery, drink Mike’s unique brews and dine on Wendy’s Dutch-inspired dishes, including her amazing tarted-up version of the Chiko roll. This brewery is tucked away in Mt Alford but be sure to book – it’s popular!
7. Break up your Scenic Rim road trip with a brekky or lunch stop in the middle of Beaudesert at VK Everydays. Relax in the courtyard and enjoy fresh and local goodies
8. Food and wine in general. Find an abundance of options to get your local foodie fix atwww.e at local scenic rim .com.au/accredited-locavores, showcasing producers; farm gates; retail; cafes, restaurants and pubs; brewers, distillers and winemakers; accommodation; experiences; and specialty food makers and artisans.
RURAL BOUNTY: Enjoy a farm stay in the picturesque Scenic Rim.
Find thrills at Tamborine Mountain.
Indulge in local produce such as carrot beer.