Money Ad sets Charleville record
WHILE the rest of Australia had their eyes on Flemington, Charleville was looking to Central Warrego for the big race of the year – the coveted Charleville Cup.
With more than just another trophy at stake, but also a place in the Country Cups Challenge final at Doomben on November 30, the rewards had never been higher for the country trainers looking to make their mark – and take home the prize purse of $11,500.
Miles-based horse Money Ad and jockey Minionette Kennedy sprinted home for the win this year, and trainer Bevan Johnson couldn’t be happier.
“I was nervous before the race, but am feeling a lot better now. I’m just ecstatic,” Johnson said.
“She was always in with a chance, but we didn’t expect her to win by that margin.
“She’s set a new track record at 4.7 lengths.”
Charleville marked the end of a busy day for Johnson, who also enjoyed another winner in Gladstone with Sarge Brigarde.
Winners in the 5-race Charleville Cup Day program were:
• Home Service Centre/ Power IT QTIS Maiden Plate: Edgeroi Mitzi (Craig Smith, Shane McGovern)
• Condon Financial/Charleville Pharmacy Benchmark: Mojos (Mark Johnstone, Sophie Wilcock)
• Frank Cavanough Memorial: Auric Gold (Mark Johnstone, Terry Treichel)
• Charleville Tyre Service/ Charleville Concrete Benchmark: The Consigliere (Wayne Baker, Paul Randall)
• Charleville Cup: Money Ad (Bevan Johnson, Minionette Kennedy)
Trainer Bevan Johnson won the Charleville Cup 2019 by a whopping 4.7 lengths with Money Ad and jockey Minionette Kennedy