Med­i­cal care un­der scru­tiny

Games or­gan­is­ers to look into de­lay help­ing run­ner

The Western Star - - SPORT - SCOTT GULLAN

ATH­LET­ICS: Games or­gan­is­ers will in­ves­ti­gate the de­lay get­ting med­i­cal at­ten­tion to col­lapsed Scot­tish marathon run­ner Cal­lum Hawkins.

In the most graphic im­ages of the Games, a stricken Hawkins was slumped on the side of the road for sev­eral min­utes af­ter crash­ing into a num­ber of bar­ri­ers as his body melted down in the bru­tal Gold Coast con­di­tions.

Hor­ri­fied view­ers across the world re­acted on so­cial me­dia as se­ri­ous con­cerns for Hawkins’ health spread with no medi­cos get­ting to the stricken run­ner.

Run­ners are in­stantly dis­qual­i­fied out of the marathon if they re­ceive any med­i­cal as­sis­tance but it was ob­vi­ous this sit­u­a­tion had gone on too long.

Leg­endary UK run­ner Steve Cram said the sit­u­a­tion was “a dis­grace” and even apol­o­gised to view­ers.

“I’m just con­cerned for his wel­fare,” he told the BBC. “He hit his head on the bar­rier. I’m sorry if you’re watch­ing this at home, it’s re­ally dis­tress­ing. He’s go­ing to hurt him­self and there’s no­body any­where near.”

Two-time Com­mon­wealth Games sil­ver medal win­ner Dave Cul­bert agreed the lack of as­sis­tance was an is­sue.

“Now we need to see some­one out there. We need some­one to at least ask him, ‘Cal­lum, would you like us to take you off the course?’, he said on Chan­nel Seven.

Fel­low Scot­tish dis­tance run­ner An­drew Butchart tweeted: “SOME­ONE F — KING HELP HIM!!!”

Cal­lum’s brother Derek thanked peo­ple for their mes­sages of sup­port.

“Can’t de­scribe how up­set­ting and dis­tress­ing it was to watch but just glad he’s all right,” he tweeted.

Hawkins, who was lead­ing the race and only 2km from the fin­ish line when he col­lapsed, was taken away in an am­bu­lance for fur­ther treat­ment.

Team Scot­land later re­ported he was sit­ting up in bed and talk­ing to his dad, and would un­dergo fur­ther med­i­cal tests.

Gold Coast Com­mon­wealth Games boss Mark Peters said he was dis­tressed by the scenes and would in­ves­ti­gate the de­lay in med­i­cal help, but de­fended the 8.15am start time for the race.

“Ob­vi­ously the health of the ath­lete is ab­so­lutely prime,” he said.

“We will find out fac­tu­ally what hap­pened and then oth­ers can learn.”

Peters said ath­letes ran in “snow and 30-odd de­gree heat ... so we don’t think that’s an is­sue”.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.