Townsville Bulletin

Mum to stay behind bars


A MOTHER who found herself in custody for reoffendin­g only one day after being granted bail will remain behind bars, with a magistrate denying her lawyer’s offer for a 24-hour curfew.

Erin Shireene Barnes (pictured), 20, appeared in custody in Townsville Magistrate­s Court on Thursday.

Ms Barnes faces 15 charges from offences spanning September 4, 5, and 6 – including six breaches of bail, five counts of fraud, and two charges of unlawful use of a motor vehicle.

The court was told she had four children: aged five, four, two and nine months.

Her lawyer said Ms Barnes had made “full admissions” about her most recent offending, and had previously been placed on a good behaviour bond for stealing.

It was argued that her offending did not involve any violence, and her youngest child was in the hospital. Ms Barnes is currently on a 7pm to 7am curfew, with her lawyer describing it as an already “hefty regimen”.

It was submitted to Magistrate Ken Taylor that she would comply with a 24-hour curfew and report to police.

But Mr Taylor said he had to wonder why a mother of four young children would need such a curfew if she already had a curfew and was a sole parent.

Police prosecutor Sophie

Roseby said Ms Barnes had been placed on bail on September 3 for stealing, but then continued to offend again.

“It is clear she has no regard to court orders and continues to offend,” Ms Roseby said.

“If she can’t be deterred to stop committing offences with four young kids at home, nothing will stop her from offending.”

Mr Taylor said he acknowledg­ed Ms Barnes had a child in the hospital and it was a “difficult position” but he had “no confidence” in her ability to comply with a court order.

“You would wonder why a young woman with young kids would be out offending at any rate,” he said.

Bail was refused, and Ms Barnes was remanded in custody with her matter set for a mention on October 13.

 ?? ??

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia