Qantas has daily flights from Sydney to Barcelona connecting through Dubai. Either rent a car at the airport or take a train to Sants station and then change to the high-speed train to Girona. qantas.com; renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html
WHEN TO GO
The best time to visit is during the Spring (March to May) and Autumn (September to November). Summer is also lovely but more crowded.
WHERE TO STAY
• Nord 1901 Hotel is a charming boutique hotel with a courtyard pool in the Girona Old Quarter. nord1901.com
• Hotel Peralada Wine Spa and Golf offers a serene five-star retreat, wine spa and golf course in the heart of Emporda wine country. hotelperalada.com
• Located in a 16th century stone farmhouse outside the Medieval village of Pals, Hotel Gastronomic Es Portal is boutique hotel with a lovely gourmet restaurant. esportalhotel.com
• The winery estate of Finca Bell-Lloc has rooms, apartments and private houses for rent. fincabell-lloc.com/en/ WHERE TO EAT AND DRINK
• The World No. 3 restaurant, the three-Michelin-starred El Celler de Can Roca in Girona offers a sublime culinary adventure with whimsical degustation menus. cellercanroca.com
• Vicus Restaurant, in the village of Pals, is a small family-owned restaurant offering inspired seasonal dishes with contemporary flair. vicusrestaurant.com/en
• Located in an ivy-draped medieval castle, the oneMichelin-starred Castell Peralada Restaurant offers inventive food and wine by El Bulli alumnae. casinoperalada.com/en
• Tucked under archways in Girona’s Old Town, Plaça del Vi 7 is the passion project of Roger Viusa, named among the best sommeliers in the world. Taste the best local wine and tapas.
WHAT TO DO
• Take a Girona Food Tour. gironafoodtours.com
• Follow the Emporda Wine Route. doemporda.cat/en
• Visit the three museums in the Dali Triangle.
• Aussie-owned UTracks offers an 8-day self-guided Catalonia by Bike tour and 7-day ‘In the Footsteps of Dali’ guided and self-guided walking tours. utracks.com
• For more serious cycling, check out Bike Breaks in Girona for bike hire, cycling holidays and day trips. gironacyclecentre.com FURTHER INFORMATION