Qingdao Railway Station
An unequal treaty signed by Germany and the Qing Empire, resulted in Germany investing in the construction of a railway from Qingdao to Jinan. In order to build the railway, the German authorities raised 54 million Deutschmarks from 14 German banks. The railway was opened to traffic in 1904. There were 55 stations across the line, with the Qingdao Station being the largest.
The station is a work of Renaissance style. It has an asymmetrical facade, consisting of a towering clock tower and a station hall with a large slope. The 35-metre-long station clock tower follows the style of a German country church.
Japan seized the railway after invading Qingdao in 1914. When the Chinese government regained its sovereignty over Qingdao, it also reclaimed ownership of the railway from the Japanese on January 1, 1923.
Although the station was dismantled and rebuilt several times, today as a transit centre suitable for modern transportation, it still maintains the original appearance of the past 100 years.