Ovens & Murray Advertiser - North East Regional Extra
This Day in History, 1952
THE Wangaratta Flour Mills could trace its ancestry back, through several owners and re-builds to Wangaratta’s first mill built by William Clark and D. H. Evans.
When it was re-opened on this day in 1952 in a new location, with all new facilities, it was proudly declared to be the most modern flour milling centre in Australia.
The huge concrete silos and associated buildings beside the railway line in Alumatta Street were typical of the explosive growth of Wangaratta in the years following World War II.
The official opening was performed by Robert Menzies.