Firefighter veterans honoured at ceremony
COUNTRY Fire Authority volunteers who have served the community for over 30 years in rural brigades within the Rural City of Wangaratta were celebrated at an awards dinner in Wangaratta earlier this month.
Garry Nash, deputy group officer for the Wangaratta Fire Brigade Group, said the evening at the Wangaratta Gateway was attended by around 120 people.
“We thought it was long overdue for a group get together and with over 20 members receiving a life membership medal, we were right,” Mr Nash said. Wangaratta Group Life Medal recipients were:
● 30 years: Geoffrey Watson from South Wangaratta and Jim Buchan from Eldorado;
● 35 years: Tony Skermer from Eldorado;
● 40 years: Kevin McMahon from Springhurst; Mary Ferguson and James Neary from Bowman-Murmungee;
● 45 years: Peter Wadley from Laceby West; Kevin Atteridge from Springhurst;
● 50 years: Garry Allen from Everton; Ken Heywood from Bowman-Murmungee; Maurice Welsh from Glenrowan; and Arthur Bennett from Everton;
● 55 years: Graeme Norman from Tarrawingee; George Bennett from Everton; and Max Allen from Everton;
● 60 years: Phillip McPherson, Graeme Colson and Gordon Kerris from South Wangaratta; David Ferguson from Bowman-Murmungee; and Ron Hooper from Greta.
● 65 years: Ivan Lewis and Ed Duffus from Boorhaman.
AWARD RECIPIENTS: (back row) Maurice Welsh, Neil Brock, Garry Allen, Tony Skermer, Max Allen. (second row) John Bannand, Gordan Kerris, Ivan Lewis, Kevin McMahon, George Bennett, Stewert Kreltszheim, Arthur Bennett, Graeme Norman, Ken Heywood, Graeme Colson and Jim Buchan. (third row)Garry Cook, Geoffrey Watson, Phillip McPherson, Edward Duffus, Peter Wadley, Mary Ferguson, James Neary, Ron Hooper, Kevin Atteridge and Inspector Kerrie Hicks.