New book to mark association’s 50th
AUTHOR TO DONATE PROCEEDS
GIRRAWHEEN resident Dorothy Howard has written her third book to raise money for Muscular Dystrophy WA.
Mrs Howard, who has had personal experience with the genetic disease, has supported the charity since it started in the late 1960s.
Her three brothers died from Duchenne muscular dystrophy at young ages and she also lost her nephew and two grandsons to the condition.
She has been scripting poems and verses and in recognition of her family since childhood and launched her third poetry book, Celestial Verses through Heaven’s Gate, on June 1.
To mark Muscular Dystrophy WA’s 50th anniversary year, Mrs Howards will donate 80 per cent of her book proceeds to the organisation, and the remaining 20 per cent to Telethon, which is also celebrating 50 years in 2017.
Muscular dystrophy is a genetic neuromuscular condition that affects more than 20,000 Australians and has no cure.
With more than 35 types of muscular dystrophy identified, the severity and deterioration of muscle strength and function varies, making treatment difficult.
“Muscular Dystrophy WA believes no one should be defined by their condition,” chief executive Hayley Lethlean said.
“Thanks to the many supporters like Dorothy throughout our 50-year history, we continue to serve the muscular dystrophy community, enabling individuals to do the things they strive to achieve.
“Together, we approach challenges to create solutions that empower full lives.”
Dorothy will be selling her book of poems for $12 at northern suburbs shopping centres.
Girrawheen resident Dorothy Howard, who has lost several relatives to muscular dystrophy, with her book of poetry. www.communitypix.com.au d470036