Program rings up grant for Bell work
AN $18,093 heritage grant will help to revitalise Bell Cottage in Rockingham.
Although Bell Cottage is no long intact, the ruins serve as a tangible reminder of the development of the region.
The State Government grant will allow the owners to undertake an archaeological study and develop a conservation management plan.
Trecap Pty Ltd is the owner of Bell Cottage and the company applied for the funding.
The history of Bell Cottage dates back to the late 1800s. About 1854 to 1855, James Bell bought land from Henry Meade and began construction of Bell Cottage in the late 1860s.
The cottage was built of stone and roofed with jarrah shingles. Later a large stone barn was built to store hay.
The Heritage Grants program, overseen by the Heritage Council of Western Australia, offers dollar-for-dollar funding for grants of up to $100,000, including conservation plans to help guide the works.
The program is one of the few grant programs in Australia that assists private owners with the costs associated with maintaining heritage sites. Since the program’s inception in 1997, 768 heritage projects have received grants totalling more than $19.5 million.
The ruins of Bell Cottage are at 371 Mandurah Road in East Rockingham.