Peel hold off fast-fin­ish­ing Fal­cons

Weekend Courier - - Wafl -

PEEL Thun­der sur­vived a fast fin­ish­ing West Perth side to se­cure back-to-back vic­to­ries in Round 10 WAFL ac­tion at Bendigo Bank Sta­dium on Satur­day af­ter­noon to run out three point win­ners, 11.11 (77) to 11.8 (74).

Af­ter lead­ing for most of the day and open­ing up a game high 30-point lead dur­ing the last term, the Thun­der looked home and hosed but West Perth had other ideas.

With the aid of a howl­ing breeze, the vis­i­tors gave the home side a fright as they kicked the last four goals of the game to re­duce the deficit to just three points.

It was a con­fi­dence build­ing win for the reign­ing pre­miers who are look­ing to get their sea­son back on track.

Their fourth win of the year leaves them just out of the top five on per­cent­age.

The low­light of the vic­tory was an an­kle in­jury to Fre­man­tle Dock­ers-listed player Grif­fin Logue on the three-quar­ter time siren.

Best on ground honours went to Peel’s Ben Howlett, who ac­cu­mu­lated 33 dis­pos­als and 13 tack­les while also kick­ing the first two goals of the game.

Danyle Pearce and Ethan Hughes sup­ported well with 31 and 28 touches re­spec­tively.

For the vis­i­tors, Luke Mead­ows kept the statis­ti­cians busy as he compiled a game best 38 pos­ses­sions.

San­dover Medal favourite Shane Nel­son was next best with 36 dis­pos­als.

Van Berlo was the lead­ing scorer with five goals from 12 touches.

An­thony Guer­riero

PERTH pulled off a re­mark­able up­set by com­ing from be­hind to de­feat fan­cied grand fi­nal con­tenders South Fre­man­tle by six points at Lath­lain Park.

Af­ter a very promis­ing first half that saw Perth two goals up at half-time af­ter a six-goal sec­ond quar­ter, the Bull­dogs clawed their way back to be vir­tu­ally level peg­ging at three-quar­ter time.

South Fre­man­tle bounced out hard at the start of the fi­nal quar­ter, tak­ing a 20point lead be­fore Perth came back to life and slammed on the fi­nal four goals of the game to snatch the six point win, 15.8 (98) to 14.8 (92).

Perth’s per­for­mance was quite a con­trast to their sec­ond half fade out the pre­vi­ous week against Swan Dis­tricts when they turned a 28-point half-time lead into a dis­ap­point­ing 30-point loss.

Clint Jones again in­spired his younger team­mates with a pow­er­ful mid­field per­for­mance, while Lach­lan Den­nis kicked five goals for the Demons.

It was a ter­rific ef­fort by the Demons to notch their third win of the sea­son and show they are cer­tainly on the im­prove.

Matt Cecins Key For­ward Beau Mais­ter cel­e­brated his 150th and fi­nal game with a solid per­for­mance to see Clare­mont de­feat Swan Dis­tricts by 20 points, 13.12 (90) to 10.10 (70), in an en­ter­tain­ing Round 10 clash at Clare­mont Oval.

While Mais­ter an­nounced the im­me­di­ate end to a dis­tin­guished career, Clare­mont de­buted three play­ers – Small­wood, Gil­bert and Morton – and Swans had one debut player in Jack O’Sul­li­van.

Clare­mont came home with a wet sail in the last quar­ter to kick four goals to noth­ing and even more telling was they were kick­ing into a strong breeze.

The Tigers had win­ners through­out in­clud­ing the mid­field of Bolton, Cur­ran and Hardisty and in de­fence Bai­ley Rogers was out­stand­ing with 24 pos­ses­sions.

Spe­cial men­tion goes to Dy­lan Small­wood, who hails from Albany, with 23 pos­ses­sions and 10 marks in one of the best de­buts seen for years. His abil­ity to read the play, make good de­ci­sions and use the ball well will have Tigers sup­port­ers happy for years.

For Swans, bet­ter play­ers were Palmer, Rig­gio, Turner and Gault, who did the ma­jor­ity of the ruck work due to Doc Blakely re­ceiv­ing what looked like a lower leg in­jury in the sec­ond quar­ter. Cam Robbins

Su­bi­aco con­tin­ued its ex­pected un­beaten run against a dis­ap­point­ing East Fre­man­tle on the week­end, run­ning out com­fort­able 103 point win­ners, 19.26 (140) to 5.7 (37).

The match was vir­tu­ally over at half­time, with Su­bi­aco kick­ing nine goals to the Sharks’ pal­try four points.

Leigh Kitchin, Kyal Hors­ley, Lach­lan De­lahunty, Chris Phe­lan and Josh Deluca, re­turn­ing from a three-week sus­pen­sion, were again most dom­i­nant for the win­ners.

Three goals to East Fre­man­tle in the third term was as much about Su­bi­aco re­lax­ing and only kick­ing four goals for the term, but they sprang back to life with a six goal (and nine points) to two fi­nal term, re­sult­ing in an­other 100 point plus vic­tory.

David Clear In WA Women’s Foot­ball League ac­tion, Perth An­gels kicked the first goal of the match to lead for the first few min­utes but that was all for them in their clash with a dom­i­nant Peel Thun­der­birds, who ran out 94 point win­ners, 14.18 (102) to 1.2 (8).

East Fre­man­tle con­tin­ued its un­beaten run with a com­fort­able win over Clare­mont.

Swan Dis­tricts thrashed South Fre­man­tle by 90 points while Su­bi­aco won a thriller against West Perth un­der lights at Leed­erville by just three points.

Pic­ture: Thomas Camp­bell

Ac­tion from the women’s Clare­mont vs Su­bi­aco match.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.