Yarrawonga Chronicle

The Grove Open Air Theatre

-

The Commercial Hotel, a handsome twostoried structure of 28 rooms, was erected on the site by Frederick Dudley in 1881. It was destroyed by fire in 1922.

In 1925, the Alexandra Park Trustees purchased the Star, one of two picture companies operating in Yarrawonga. They formed the Grove Picture Co. as a separate entity with all profits to be used for the developmen­t of Alexandra Park and beautifica­tion of Yarrawonga.

The Grove and Paramount picture companies showed their films at the Athenaeum Hall, on the corner of Belmore and Orr

The Grove Open Air Theatre occupied this site (now Rotary Park) from 1935 until the 1960s.

 ??  ?? The first screen.
The first screen.
 ??  ?? Entrance to Grove Open Air Theatre – (now the Don C Forbes Walk in Rotary Park).
Entrance to Grove Open Air Theatre – (now the Don C Forbes Walk in Rotary Park).

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia