Yarrawonga Chronicle

New look for war memorials

-

Members of the Yarra Mul Rotary club converged on the two memorials to give them a scrub and a clean.

This was the first time that the monuments had been cleaned since they were erected in the 1920s by public subscripti­on. The Mulwala memorial in Hume Street was constructe­d in 1923. Constructi­on of the Yarrawonga memorial commenced (by Talachinos) in late 1927 and it was completed in time for Anzac Day April 25, 1928.

Rotarians erected scaffoldin­g around the Yarrawonga memorial and the task of cleaning began. Special care was taken in applying cleaning liquid to the angel and soldier on the monument.

When the Yarrawonga monument was completed, Rotarians transferre­d their equipment to the Mulwala monument in Hume Street.

The cleaning was carried out in co-operation with the local RSL sub-branch who supplied a special cleaning liquid for the job.

The Yarrawonga memorial was given a new look with the cleaning project, the removal of surroundin­g granite posts and the constructi­on of a roundabout highlighte­d by spotlights and the planting of lawn.

The Mulwala War Memorial was re-located to a more central position in Old Mill Park (alongside Melbourne Road, Mulwala) in 1989.

War Memorials in Yarrawonga and Mulwala received a sparkling new look thanks to the efforts of local Rotarians in 1986.

 ??  ?? On 23rd November 1921, many locals gathered for the official opening of Soldiers Monument in Yarrawonga. It cost 1,050 pounds ($86,150), being sourced from the local community. Made of polished Harcourt granite, it stands 26 feet high. The top statue depicts the Angel of Mons. A white marble soldier standing at ease on the southern side is one of only sixteen Italian-made statues set in this typical ‘Carabinier’ pose. This is due to the sculptor only having access to Italian uniforms.
On 23rd November 1921, many locals gathered for the official opening of Soldiers Monument in Yarrawonga. It cost 1,050 pounds ($86,150), being sourced from the local community. Made of polished Harcourt granite, it stands 26 feet high. The top statue depicts the Angel of Mons. A white marble soldier standing at ease on the southern side is one of only sixteen Italian-made statues set in this typical ‘Carabinier’ pose. This is due to the sculptor only having access to Italian uniforms.
 ??  ?? The Yarrawonga Monument prior to the constructi­on of a roundabout in 1986.
The Yarrawonga Monument prior to the constructi­on of a roundabout in 1986.
 ??  ?? Rotarians apply cleaning liquid to the memorial prior to spraying.
Rotarians apply cleaning liquid to the memorial prior to spraying.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia