Yarrawonga Chronicle

A welcome park

-

This area now known as Rotary Park has proved to be a great acquisitio­n to the community.

Situated opposite Permewans Big Store (now Rivers) this developmen­t has provided a fine facility for towns people and visitors alike, seats, tables, a water fountain and a very pleasant environmen­t has made this park a pleasant haven, where people can rest, meet their friends for a chat, or enjoy their lunch.

Rotary Park was developed in 1980. The shire did a makeover of the park in 1994 which included a decorative path at the entrance. Some recent improvemen­ts have also been completed in the past few years.

In later years Ladies’ and Gents’ toilets were also constructe­d, along with new concrete pavement the entire length of the park with the Don C Forbes Walk

plaque at the entrance embedded into the concrete. Don C Forbes was Secretary/Manager of the Grove Pictures 1930-1978.

Rotary added to the amenities of the park in 2019 by installing a $4,000 water drinking fountain one of four by Rotary to mark the first survey of Yarrawonga 150 years ago.

In order to commemorat­e the 75th Anniversar­y of Rotary Internatio­nal, the Rotary Club of Yarra-Mulwala undertook the developmen­t of a park in Belmore Street, owned by the Shire of Yarrawonga and was formerly part of the openair picture theatre.

 ??  ?? The Don C Forbes Walk – in 1994 the pavement arranged in artistic design at the entrance to Rotary Park takes shape.
The Don C Forbes Walk – in 1994 the pavement arranged in artistic design at the entrance to Rotary Park takes shape.
 ??  ?? Local Rotarians in 1980 undertook the developmen­t of a park in Belmore Street which is known as Rotary Park.
Local Rotarians in 1980 undertook the developmen­t of a park in Belmore Street which is known as Rotary Park.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia