1. Taking your time
● Thank you for thinking of me.
● I appreciate your confidence in me.
● I’m honoured that you would consider me for this project.
2. Learning the facts
● What is the timeline for this?
● What exactly is involved?
● What would be my role and my responsibilities?
3. Voicing your concerns
● I have too much on my plate at the moment.
● It’s going to be impossible to give everything the
attention I’d like to.
● This would require a significant amount of my time for the next month.
4. Being firm
● I’m afraid I can’t take on anything else right now.
● To be perfectly honest, my schedule is full.
● Thanks again for asking, but I should prioritize...
5. Talking about your workload
● I really need the time to deal with...
● Actually, you also asked me to work on...
● Most of my hours for the next few weeks have already been reserved for other projects.
6. ⋅ Asking for support
● Is there someone who could support me on this project / my other projects?
● Can I put something on the back burner while I deal with this?
● How do you think this can fit in with my other work commitments?
7. Accepting yes
● So, we agree that I should prioritize...
● As this is more urgent, we agree to postpone...
● Thanks for agreeing to put my other work on hold.