Polish architectures in Baku
J ózef Plośko gained his professional skills at St.Petersburg Institute of Civil Engineers . After graduation in 1895 , and having worked in Kiev for two years he came to Baku at the invitation of Jozef Goslawski . Plośko took place of local architect at construction department of the Baku city administration.
Since the end of 19th century, so many Polish people had been moved to Azerbaijan. Actually, these were the people who were fighting against the colonial policy of Tsarist Russia, and they were forced to exile. In the beginning of the 20th, the first Polish organization was established. In Azerbaijan, lots of Polish people were working in various fields. For instance, lawyer Stanislav Vonsovic was a member of Azerbaijan Parliament in 1918. At that time, Masey Sulkevic was the military commander in the Azerbaijan army. Additionally, there were many well-known specialists like Pavel Pototski in the branch of oil. Kricinski brothers that lived in Baku also made remarkable contributions at that time. There were lots of buildings in Baku which were designed by Jozef Goslawski ( 1865- 1904), Kazimierz Skorewicz (1866-1950) and Józef Plośko (18671931). The buildings which ones` projects and designs were given by Jozef Plozsko are specially differing. All these buildings still exist today and they are protected.
Ismailya Palace is located in Baku, the capital
city of Azerbaijan. This building has specific style that easily differs itself from other buildings in there. Architects call this style as Venetian Gothic style. The building was constructed by Polish architect Józef Plośko at the expense of the millionaire Musa Naghiyev in commemoration of his deceased son Ismayil, and was named Ismailiyya after him. Construction began in 1908 and ended in 1913. This building was constructed for the Muslim Charity Society in advance, but it current- ly serves as the Presidium of the Academy of Sciences of Azerbaijan.
The Mukhtarov Palace, which is currently called as The Happines Palace or The Wedding Palace, was also made by Józef Plośko.
Azerbaijan State Puppet Theatre named after Abdulla Shaig, which was previously known as “Phenomenon“cinema, was built in 1908-1910 by Józef Plośko.
Józef Plośko gained his professional skills at St.Petersburg Institute of Civil Engineers. After graduation in 1895, and having worked in Kiev for two years he came to Baku at the invitation of Jozef Goslawski. Józef Plośko took place of local architect at construction department of the Baku city administration. From 1907-1910 Plośko was the chief architect of the capital city of Azerbaijan. In 1925, after nearly spending 30 years in Azerbaijan, he moved to Warsaw and then to France.