Em­pire stun Wales 2-1

Daily Nation (Barbados) - - Sport 4 - By NI­CHOLAS MAIT­LAND

LEAD­ERS EM­PIRE moved even fur­ther away from the chas­ing pack with a mo­rale boost­ing 2-1 win over Wey­mouth Wales, con­demn­ing the foot­ball cham­pi­ons to their third straight Premier League de­feat on Satur­day night at the Wildey Turf.

In the early matches, Eller­ton dis­patched ten-man RBC Cap­i­tal Mar­kets Bar­ba­dos Soc­cer Academy (BSA) 2-0, while ru­ral clubs Mark’s Auto Spares Porey Spring United and Youth Mi­lan shared four goals in their 2-2 draw.

The Bank Hall boys started their en­counter brightly, re­strict­ing Wales’ pos­ses­sion and usual pass­ing game. Ace for­ward Jabarry “Pappy” Chan­dler un­locked the Wales de­fence in the 30th minute, slid­ing a neat pass into the path of Ja­maican Or­mando Mcleod to fin­ish past Omari East­mond in goal de­spite the best ef­forts of cen­tre back Ri­car­dio Mor­ris.

Eight min­utes later, Em­pire were threat­en­ing again and ref­eree Ed­win Adams would soon be called into ac­tion.

Ap­peals went up when Chan­dler col­lided with Mor­ris in the box and the ref­eree pointed to the spot. Chan­dler pro­ceeded to ri­fle his kick into the roof of the net.

Sub­sti­tute Ke­mar Headley re­duced the ar­rears shortly after the re­sump­tion in the 49th minute, con­vert­ing An­dre Ap­ple­whaite’s lofted ball to the back post.

Wales had op­por­tu­ni­ties to get them­selves back in the game but their ef­forts were foiled by Em­pire cus­to­dian Oba Tucker whose sec­ond half per­for­mance helped his team hold on for a vi­tal win.

Porey Spring were at their clin­i­cal best against Youth Mi­lan but their de­fen­sive frail­ties were still on show. With Mi­lan’s head coach Nor­man Forde serv­ing a one-game touch­line ban, Porey Spring took the ini­tia­tive in the 7th minute.

Damion Thor­ing­ton’s cross from the right, crashed off the post, re­bounded off the chest of Mario Gra­ham and nes­tled in the back of the net. Mi­lan clawed their way back through Ke­mar Chase, who squeezed the ball into the net fol­low­ing a cor­ner in the

23rd minute.

Three min­utes later Porey Spring pulled ahead again. Ri­valdo Gra­ham’s deep free kick from the right side was met firmly by Shaquille Ste­wart’s fore­head and flew into the net be­fore Mi­lan ‘keeper Richard Corbin could re­act.

Ro­mario Drakes set up Jaleel Corbin for Mi­lan’s sec­ond equaliser with the last ac­tion of the half in the 45th minute.

Eller­ton and BSA looked evenly matched in their open­ing con­test but the St Ge­orge side re­ceived a sig­nif­i­cant nu­mer­i­cal ad­van­tage when Zari Prescod was sent off in the 24th minute for an ex­ces­sive chal­lenge on Tris­tan Ban­croft.

Eller­ton won a penalty in the 30th minute which was dis­patched by cap­tain Shak­ile Belle, who scored for the sec­ond game run­ning.

BSA’S bad luck was com­pounded with the con­ces­sion of an­other penalty in the 71st minute. Shaquan Clarke, stepped up to smash home the spot kick and ex­tend his side’s un­beaten run to five games.

(Pic­ture by Ken­more By­noe.)

MOV­ING ON:Ryan Stu­art ofPorey Spring (left) look­ing to stopYouth Mi­lan’s cap­tain Mar­lon Greaves.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Barbados

© PressReader. All rights reserved.