Chief: Sex Island not coming here
PORT OF SPAIN – Police Commissioner Gary Griffith says the organisers of a four-day, three-night “sex-travaganza”, called Sex Island, have a “snowball chance in hell” of hosting the event in Trinidad and Tobago.
The New York Post website reported that the organisers have named an island off the coast of the twin island republic as the location for its next event, scheduled for December 14 to 17. It added that the fete, which promises its patrons drugs and prostitutes, and costs between US$4 500 and US$6 000 per person, had been given the “go-ahead” by local authorities.
But Griffith, speaking on a local radio programme, said he wanted to disappoint
“those who think it may happen”.
“It is definitely not going to happen,” he said, telling his audience “there is no private island off Trinidad and Tobago”.
The top cop said he believes the event being promoted started some years ago in Colombia “but it is difficult if not impossible for this to take place”.
“Even before the police get involved, you need the requisite approval for entry into Trinidad and Tobago waters from the Ministry of National Security [and] you must go through Immigration authorities. And then, having said that . . . I can give the assurance that before the first joint is lighted, before the first lap dance is made, that will never happen.
“There is absolutely no way that something as organised and promoted as this can take place in Trinidad and Tobago waters,” Griffith said.
He added that there were certain local places hosting activities which could give rise to human trafficking and the police have been using intelligence-driven information to shut them down. ( CMC)