HOUSING & WATER ISSUES, TOP CHALLENGES FOR THIMPHU
Thimphu is likely to face a water shortage of 3.1mn liters a day, according to a strategic environment assessment for Thimphu structure plan draft report in the next 10 years. Only 30% of the service area in Thimphu receives 24 hours water supply while the remaining 70% receives intermittent supplies ranging from three to eight hours a day.
The draft report was presented at a public consultation meeting in Thimphu yesterday. The report recommends preserving water sources, creating awareness on water conservation, strengthening existing water distribution scheme and implementing the Thimphu Water Safety Plan. The need for a water supply master plan for Thimphu thromde, storm water master plan and a thromde transport plan were also recommended.