Ron­aldo re­buffs ‘fake’ rape claim as po­lice re­open probe

The Phnom Penh Post - - SPORT - Lau­rent Banguet

PO­LICE on Mon­day said they had re­opened an in­ves­ti­ga­tion into a rape ac­cu­sa­tion made by a for­mer model who says foot­ball star Cris­tiano Ron­aldo at­tacked her in his Las Ve­gas ho­tel pent­house suite in 2009.

Ron­aldo, who now plays for Ju­ven­tus in Italy’s Serie A, re­jected the charges as “fake news” dur­ing a live chat on In­sta­gram.

“What they said to­day, fake – fake news,” the 33-year-old star of the Por­tuguese na­tional team said in a post that was later deleted.

Kathryn May­orga, 34, of Las Ve­gas, ac­cused Ron­aldo, in a 32-page com­plaint filed last month with a district court in Ne­vada, of rap­ing her on June 13, 2009.

The Las Ve­gas Met­ro­pol­i­tan Po­lice Depart­ment con­firmed in a state­ment that didn’t name the su­per­star it had re­sponded to a call of a sex­ual as­sault on that date.

“At the time the re­port was taken, the vic­tim did not pro­vide de­tec­tives with the lo­ca­tion of the in­ci­dent or sus­pect de­scrip­tion. A med­i­cal exam was con­ducted,” it said.

“As of Septem­ber 2018, the case has been re­opened and our de­tec­tives are fol­low­ing up on in­for­ma­tion be­ing pro­vided by the vic­tim.”

May­orga al­leges in the law­suit that she was pres­sured into sign­ing a nondis­clo­sure agree­ment to keep the al­leged rape se­cret and is seek­ing no less than $200,000 in penal­ties and dam­ages.

The com­plaint was first re­ported by the Ger­man mag­a­zine Der Spiegel. Lawyers for Ron­aldo have re­port­edly threat­ened to sue the mag­a­zine over the story.

In the suit, May­orga said she met Ron­aldo, who was then 24 years old, on the evening of June 12, 2009 at the Rain Night­club in the Palms Ho­tel and Casino in Las Ve­gas.

It said she ac­cepted an in­vi­ta­tion to join Ron­aldo and oth­ers in his pent- house suite to “en­joy the view of the Las Ve­gas strip”.

She was in­vited to join guests in a hot tub but she de­clined be­cause she did not have a bathing suit, the com­plaint said. Ron­aldo of­fered her cloth­ing and then fol­lowed her into a bath­room where she was go­ing to change clothes, it said.

‘No, no, no’

Af­ter she re­fused his de­mand to per­form oral sex and said she wanted to leave, Ron­aldo pulled her into a bed­room and anally raped her while she screamed “no, no, no,” the com­plaint said.

“When Cris­tiano Ron­aldo com­pleted the sex­ual as­sault of the plain­tiff, he al­lowed her to leave the bed­room stat­ing he was sorry, he was usu­ally a gen­tle­man,” it said.

The law­suit said May­orga re­ported the al­leged as­sault to the Las Ve­gas po­lice the same day and un­der­went an ex­am­i­na­tion at a lo­cal hospi­tal.

It said the as­sault had left her with “se­vere emo­tional and bod­ily in­juries in­clud­ing but not lim­ited to anal con­tu­sions, post­trau­matic stress dis­or­der and ma­jor de­pres­sion”.

She de­vel­oped an al­co­hol prob­lem and was sui­ci­dal, ac­cord­ing to court doc­u­ments.

Un­der pres­sure from Ron­aldo’s “fix­ers”, May­orga set­tled the case “in ex­change for a pay­ment of $375,000 and non-dis­clo­sure of the sex­ual as­sault”, the law­suit said.

It claimed the agree­ment should be voided be­cause she was “in­com­pe­tent and lacked the men­tal ca­pac­ity to par­tic­i­pate in ne­go­ti­a­tions and set­tle­ment of her claims due to the in­juries suf- fered dur­ing the ini­tial sex­ual as­sault”.

The suit also called for the agree­ment to be dis­missed be­cause it amounted to con­ceal­ment of a crime for which there is no statute of lim­i­ta­tions. The uniden­ti­fied “fix­ers” were named as co-de­fen­dants in the law­suit, which also accuses the Ju­ven­tus for­ward of vi­o­lat­ing the 2010 nondis­clo­sure agree­ment.

In an in­ter­view with Der Spiegel, May­orga, who has a de­gree in jour­nal­ism from the Uni­ver­sity of Ne­vada, Las Ve­gas, said she was in­spired to come for­ward in part by the #MeToo move­ment that has ex­posed the sex­ual abuse of women by pow­er­ful men.

Ron­aldo is a five-time win­ner of Fifa’s men’s player of the year award.

The Por­tuguese striker, who is a mar­ried fa­ther of four, left Real Madrid this year to join Ju­ven­tus for € 100 mil­lion ($117 mil­lion).

IS­ABELLA BONOTTO/AFP

Ju­ven­tus for­ward Cris­tiano Ron­aldo is fac­ing al­le­ga­tions of rape by a for­mer model who accuses the Por­tuguese su­per­star of at­tack­ing her in his Las Ve­gas ho­tel pent­house suite in 2009.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Cambodia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.