The Spiritual Side
The pastel yellow Our Lady of Carmo Catholic Church sits at the top of the hill overlooking Taipa Village. Completed in 1885, it was the only Catholic Church in Taipa at that time and seems like a popular backdrop for wedding photo shoots with an air of European influence. On the other side of Taipa Village, we lit a spiral incense at Pak Tai Temple, which has been around for over 160 years. Translating to “Northern Emperor,” this is where villagers and fishermen would make offerings for protection against floods and fire, as well as safe journeys for the seafaring folks whose livelihood depended on sailing the oceans.