Surrey Business News
Key Construction Sector Indicators
The BC Construction Association (BCCA) released its latest construction sector statistics in late October 2019 which shows a booming construction sector ($115 billion in projects underway and another $206 billion in proposed projects on the horizon) meeting the challenges of continued growth with an increase in construction companies and rising average wages for a workforce that is 85 per cent non-union.
KEY BC CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY STATISTICS:
• Construction is the number 1 employer in BC’S goods sector.
• Value of proposed construction projects in British Columbia: $206 billion
• Value of current construction projects underway in BC: $115 billion
• BC’S construction industry accounts for 8.6% of the province’s GDP.
• More than 236,000 people rely directly on BC’S Construction industry for a paycheque.
• Number of construction trades workers in BC’S labour force: 180,300 (BC Stats: Spring 2019)
• Number of construction companies in BC: 25,736
• The average yearly wage of BC construction employees: $61,784
• Number of construction jobs in BC that will be unfilled due to labour shortages by 2028: 7,900
• Percentage of construction workforce that is unionized: 15%