Surrey Business News
CN To Invest $445 million in BC in 2020
CN, as part of its strategic investments to support growing demand and enable supply chains, plans to invest approximately $445 million (CAD) across British Columbia in 2020.
The investments will include expansion projects that will add track in yards to handle growing traffic, new sidings as well as continued investments in multi-year initiatives to increase capacity at the Port of Vancouver and at the Port of Prince Rupert in collaboration with the Government of Canada, the Vancouver Fraser Port Authority, and the Prince Rupert Port Authority. The maintenance program will focus on the replacement of rail and ties and maintenance work on level crossings, culverts, signal systems and other track infrastructure.
Planned expansion projects include:
• Construction of about 3.5 miles of double track between Vancouver (Surrey) and Edmonton, near Glen Valley.
• Building new sidings on the Edmonton to Prince Rupert corridor to increase capacity for growing demand.
• Continued investments to continue multi-year infrastructure projects that will increase capacity at the ports of Vancouver and Prince Rupert in collaboration with the Government of Canada, the Vancouver Fraser Port Authority and the Prince Rupert Port Authority.
Maintenance program highlights include:
• Replacement of more than 100 miles of rail
• Installation of over 209,000 new railroad ties
• Installation of over 46,000 concrete ties
• Rebuilds of 22 road crossing surfaces
• Maintenance work on bridges, culverts, signal systems, and other track infrastructure