1909: Formation of the Edmonton Horticultural Society with Walter Ramsay as President.
1912: The cities of Edmonton and Strathcona amalgamate and so do their horticultural societies.
1918: The Edmonton Horticultural Society and the Vacant Lots Garden Club join to become the Edmonton Horticultural and Vacant Lots Garden Association.
1924: Gladys Reeves is elected as the horticultural society’s first female president. As a gardening advocate she has no equal. That year the society’s annual flower show attracts over four thousand paying visitors.
1926: William J. (Bill) Cardy is elected president of the horticultural society. It is Cardy who shepherds the society through the years of the Great Depression and the Second World War. Under his leadership the Edmonton horticultural society is an active participant in the public life of the City and the Province of Alberta.
1935: The society’s annual flower show, which was to have been held Aug. 20 to 22, is cancelled due to a “very early frost.” This is the only time between 1909 and 1997 (the year of the society’s last annual show) that a show is cancelled on account of weather.
1943: The Edmonton Horticultural Society holds meetings throughout the city to promote the growing of Victory Gardens. That year approximately 380 acres are rented out as vacant lots. The secretary of the society writes to the chairman of the agricultural supplies board in Ottawa estimating the quantities of vegetables being produced on these lots. This includes 75,000 bushels of potatoes and 56,000 pounds of both turnips and cabbage.
1973: The horticultural society officially changes its name back from the 1918 “Horticultural and Vacant Lots Garden Society” to the simpler “Edmonton Horticultural Society.”
1995: Edmonton Horticultural Society president, Patrick Brown, works out a plan with the city of Edmonton and the Muttart Conservatory to develop 3,000 square feet of new flower beds on the grounds of the conservatory. This arrangement persists to the present day.
2009: The Edmonton Horticultural Society celebrates its centennial year with a publication, a commemorative bench show, and the creation of a centennial garden in Henrietta Muir Edwards Park. The garden has since been moved to the grounds of the Muttart Conservatory.