Lamb Burgers WITH HERBED FETA
Spiced lamb burgers are a delicious change from regular beef burgers, and the herbed feta topping makes these company-worthy. This recipe works equally well with ground beef. Grated onion disperses better in the mixture and means the burgers are less likely to fall apart on the grill — use an ordinary box grater but be sure to watch your fingertips!
1 lb (500 g) ground lamb
Half an onion, grated
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp (5 mL) cumin
1 tsp (5 mL) coriander
½ tsp (2 mL) salt
¼ tsp (1 mL) cinnamon
¼ tsp (1 mL) cayenne (optional) Whole-wheat buns and sliced tomatoes for serving
½ cup (125 mL) crumbled feta cheese ½ cup (125 mL) finely chopped mint, cilantro or parsley, or a combination Zest of 1 lemon
1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp (15 mL) extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat barbecue to high.
2. Combine lamb with onion, garlic, spices and salt in a large bowl. Shape into 4 thin, flat patties.
3. Spray grill generously with cooking spray. Place the burgers on the grill, cook 2 minutes then flip and cook another 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and cook with lid closed another 4 to 6 minutes or until burgers are cooked through.
4. Stir feta with herbs, lemon zest and juice, and oil in a small bowl. Mash slightly to soften the mixture.
5. Place burgers in buns and top with sliced tomatoes and a spoonful of Herbed Feta.
PER SERVING: 446 calories, 24 g protein, 37 g fat
(16 g saturated fat), 4 g carbohydrates ,1 g fibre, 108 mg cholesterol, 580 mg sodium