These days, Mission is known for its restaurants, funky stores and, of course, the Lilac Festival.
The southwest neighbourhood flanks 4th Street. It was named for its history as a Catholic mission — Fathers Lacombe and Leduc home- steaded two quarter sections of land in the area.
A small French community began to grow in the 1880s, and the area was for a time incorporated as the Village of Rouleauville. In 1907, the area was annexed by the City of Calgary.