Japanese firm was planning new reactors days after quake
Tokyo • The nuclear power company in charge of the Fukushima Daiichi plant in Japan submitted plans for two new reactors at the site 11 days after it was crippled by the earthquake and tsunami last month.
Tokyo Electric Power Company (Tepco) filed its plan to start work on the reactors in spring next year with the Fukushima prefectural government the day after the death toll from the disasters surpassed 10,000 and an advisory panel to the government disclosed that the number three reactor was leaking radiation.
The proposal was incorporated into a report on future power consumption and generation capabilities that was given to Japan’s economic ministry on March 31.
Hiro Hasegawa, a spokesman for Tepco, said the firm was required to submit a report on its annual electricity plan for the next fiscal year by law. “We had prepared the report before March 11 (the day of the earthquake) and did not have time to change the information it contained,” he said.
“People ask why we did not drop the report, but it’s not as easy as that. We did not have time to reassess the plans.”