Landmarks honour veterans
Major thoroughfares, local schools named after armed forces members
As Calgarians prepare to pay their respects on Nov. 11 to those who have died in the line of duty, Postmedia took a closer look at some of the many local landmarks named after members of the armed forces. Some of the city’s major thoroughfares were named in recognition of the contributions of veterans, including Memorial Drive, which is lined with trees that were planted to commemorate fallen soldiers after the First World War. Here is a selection of a few other streets, buildings and landmarks named in honour of veterans.
The span over the Elbow River is named after John George Pattison, who was awarded the Victoria Cross for his bravery at the Battle of Vimy Ridge in April 1917. Pattison, who worked at the Calgary Gas Company before enlisting in March 1916, was killed in action in June 1917. A mountain in Jasper National Park is also named after him.
The northeast road is named after William “Willie” McKnight, a flying officer during the Second World War and one of the topranking fighter pilots of the Royal Air Force. McKnight was born in Edmonton, grew up in Calgary and attended Crescent Heights High School. He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross. His plane went missing during a raid in 1941 when he was just 22.
Canadian war hero Freddie McCall was known as a First World War flying ace. He received medals including the Military Cross, the Distinguished Service Order and the Distinguished Flying Cross for his successes in the Royal Flying Corps. Prior to its current name, the Calgary airport was named after McCall. The provincial electoral district of Calgary-McCall and the McCall Lake Golf Course also bear his name.
IAN BAZALGETTE SCHOOL
This southeast junior high school is named after Ian Willoughby Bazalgette, who was posthumously awarded a Victoria Cross after he tried to save two wounded members of his crew by landing a Lancaster bomber while it was engulfed in flames. The aircraft exploded upon landing and he and the two crew members died. A mountain was also named after Bazalgette in Jasper National Park in 1949.
CAPTAIN NICHOLA GODDARD SCHOOL
This school in Panorama Hills is named after the first female Canadian soldier killed in combat. She died in Afghanistan in 2006. She was posthumously awarded the Meritorious Service Medal and the Sacrifice Medal.
Many of the streets in this development reflect the military history of this former Canadian Forces Base Calgary site. Mary Dover Drive is named after one of the first female officers in Canada. Dover volunteered during the Second World War as a recruiting officer for the Canadian Women’s Army Corps and in 1942 she served in England. She was recognized with awards including Order of the British Empire and the Order of Canada. Tommy Prince Road is named after one of Canada’s most decorated First Nations soldiers, who served in the Second World War and the Korean War. Currie Barracks was named after Gen. Sir Arthur Currie, considered one of the best commanders in Canadian military history.
The area now known as Garrison Green was once part of the CFB site and was used as an airfield during the Second World War. That military history is now reflected in 13 streets named after Canadian peacekeepers. Peacekeeper Park also pays tribute to those who have lost their lives in Canadian peacekeeping missions.
The area now known as Garrison Green, above, was used as an airfield during the Second World War.