1. The Patch
Chris Turner. The conflict of the climate crisis versus industrial triumph.
2. Fear: Trump in the White House
Bob Woodward. A portrait of the U.S. president.
3. Call Them by Their True Names
Rebecca Solnit. Essays about American crises.
4. Little Failure: A Memoir
Gary Shteyngart. An all too true story of an immigrant family betting its future on America.
5. Pay No Heed to the Rockets
Marcello Di Cintio. Palestine in the present tense.
6. Let Them Eat Dirt: Saving Our Children from an Oversanitized World
B. Brett Finlay and MarieClaire Arrieta. Our oversanitized world threatens children’s health, but parents can change their environment into one where they’ll thrive.
7. Walls: Travel Along the Barricade
Marcello Di Cintio. What it means to live against famous walls around the world.
8. An Odyssey: A Father, A Son and An Epic
Daniel Mendelsohn. A deeply moving tale of a father and son’s transformative journey in reading, and reliving, Homer’s epic masterpiece.
Rona Altrows and Julie Sedivy. Essays about the most human experience.
Tara Westover. A memoir of a woman who did not set foot in a classroom until the age of seventeen.