Woman saved from 2nd floor of town­house in N.E. blaze

Calgary Herald - - CITY+REGION - ZACH LAING

Fire­fight­ers res­cued a woman from the sec­ond floor of a town­house in north­east Cal­gary on Wednes­day morn­ing af­ter fire broke out in a base­ment unit.

Fire de­part­ment spokes­woman Carol Henke said the fire started at about 9 a.m. in the town­house, lo­cated in the 400 block of 64th Av­enue N.E.

At the scene, Arthur Cruz said the fire broke out in his brother’s base­ment.

“His wife was stuck in an (up­stairs) bed­room,” Cruz said.

Fire­fight­ers smashed an up­stairs win­dow to bring the woman down to safety.

“Her unit was full of smoke, so fire crews quickly lad­dered the build­ing and safely res­cued her,” said Henke.

Fire crews re­mained on scene for hours as they mon­i­tored for hot spots and in­ves­ti­ga­tors worked to de­ter­mine a cause of the fire, which also caused smoke dam­age to an ad­ja­cent unit.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Canada

© PressReader. All rights reserved.