PAN-ROASTED RADISHES WITH LABNEH, FREEKEH AND RADISH LEAVES
Serves: 2 as a light meal,
4 as a side dish
1/2 cup (125 ml) freekeh
1 bunch of radishes with leaves 1/4 unwaxed lemon, zest and juice
Extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 cup (180 ml) labneh or yogurt
1 tbsp (15 ml) coconut oil or organic canola oil
1 tsp (5 ml) nigella seeds
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Place the freekeh in a small saucepan, cover with plenty of water and cook for 15 minutes until cooked through, but still chewy. Drain through a sieve and return to the pan.
2. Add the radish leaves, lemon zest and juice and a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil. Mix gently together and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Transfer to a serving bowl and spoon the labneh on top.
3. Heat the coconut or canola oil in a heavy-based frying pan over high heat, being careful not to let it smoke.
4. While that is heating up, cut the radishes in half. Add the radishes to the hot pan, season with a pinch of salt and fry for just a minute until they are slightly blistered and bright red in colour.
5. To serve, arrange the blistered radishes on top of the labneh and sprinkle over the nigella seeds.