MISO BUTTER ONIONS
■ 8 small onions or large shallots
■ 7 tbsp (100 ml) unsalted butter, melted
■ 1/2 cup (125 ml) plus 1 tbsp (15 ml) miso paste
■ 4 cups (1 L) warm water
1. Preheat oven to 500 F (260 C). Cut onions in half lengthwise, discarding papery skins and any tough, dry underskin. Trim tops and a little off the bottom, but not so much you damage the base.
2. In a medium bowl, combine melted butter, miso and warm water.
3. Arrange onion halves, cut-side down, in a high-sided baking dish (9-by-13 inches/23-by33 cm). The pan should be the size just to accommodate the onions about one inch (2.5 cm) apart.
4. Pour in the miso mixture. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes.
5. Remove foil and turn onions cut-side up. Baste with miso mixture, then return to oven, uncovered, for another 45-50 minutes, basting every 10 minutes, until onions are very soft, deeply browned on top, and the sauce has thickened.
6. Transfer onions to a heated platter, pour sauce over and serve at once.