Creamy Mac and Cheese with Sausage and Broccoli
1 lb. (500 g) dried macaroni ½ cup unsalted butter ½ cup all-purpose flour
4 cups whole milk
4 cups grated old white cheddar cheese — divided (measured after grating) ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese 4 roasted red pepper and asiago sausages (or sausage of choice), sliced
4 cups of broccoli florets, cut into
1. In a large pot, cook macaroni according to the package directions. In the last five minutes of cooking, add the broccoli florets to the pasta and cook until softened. Drain.
2. While macaroni is cooking, fry sausage pieces over mediumhigh heat until cooked through.
3. In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in enough flour to make a roux (stirring until there are no clumps). Slowly add the milk, stirring constantly. Bring the mixture to a low boil, until desired thickness is achieved. Remove from heat.
4. Stir in cheeses until melted.
5. Put macaroni back into the large pot and pour the sauce over it. Stir well. Add sausage and broccoli and stir to combine.